When and how did Mila’s Books start?
The first story books written for Mila’s Books was in 2019. Mila's Books was created by director and lead publisher, Dahlia Malaeulu and is the result of her love for our Pacific cultures, learning and wanting to see Pasifika tamaiti succeed as themselves.
What does an 'all Pasifika' publishing team mean?
This means all our stories are edited, designed, illustrated and published by Pasifika peoples. We apply Pasifika values and culturally responsive practices at every stage of book production which helps us to produce authentically Pasifika award winning story books for tamaiti, families and communities.
Do you have a Mila's Books shop? Where else are Mila's Books stories available from? Nationally and internationally?
We do not have a Mila's Books shop but all our Mila's Books stories are available from:
- Main retail supplier: Lagi’s Routes from Pacific ship across New Zealand and Australia.
- Mila’s Books can also be found in many independent book stores and libraries across New Zealand.
- Publishers Distribution Ltd, email@example.com
- John Reed Books (Australia).
We are currently trialing International orders via our website from around the world. Please note since Covid international delivery fees have skyrocketed and we have tried to find the cheapest rates for your book order which will be shipped from New Zealand.
Note: Please send a message through our contact page if you require assistance with a national or international book order, especially if you are wanting to place a bulk book order.
Do you provide discounts for bulk orders?
Yes we do! If you are an organisation, community group or school and would like to place a bulk order please use our contacts page to get in touch so we can confirm the discount rate.
What other services do you provide?
We currently offer the following services:
- Book Publishing Services - Please use our contact page to get in touch with the specific details of your project.
Mila's Books authors and publisher, Dahlia Malaeulu, are also regularly requested for:
- Author visits, student writing workshops.
- Keynote and presentations at conferences and events.
- Professional development workshops for schools and organisations.
Will you publish other Pasifika authors in the future?
Absolutely! We will share via our socials when we open submissions in the future.
Are you accepting submissions?
At this stage we are not accepting submissions due to our book schedule being full this year. We will announce when we will be accepting submissions via our socials in the future, so make sure to follow us and keep up to date.
Are you able to edit or give feedback on my manuscript or story idea?
Unfortunately we are unable to give feedback or provide editing services. Our advice is to write your ideas and stories down #JustDoIt and have it professionally edited, which usually comes with feedback.
Do you have more books being released?
Each year we aim to publish a range of Pasifika children's books, so there will always be new titles being released - make sure to keep an eye out for them!
Rights & Permissions
Please contact us to request permission to reproduce and/or enquire about the rights to publish any part of or any Mila’s Books publications in other languages, regions and formats. Use our contact page with the following information:
- The Mila’s Books publication you want to reproduce material from or request rights for (Title, author, year of publication).
- The material you would like to reproduce or request rights for.
- Your publication or project which the requested material or title will be used for.